Monday, September 1, 2008

Explaining the Image of "Le Fils De Fanon" Earth, Technology, The Moon & The American Flag


The Main Image of "Le Fils De Fanon"
Just to explain a few of the elements in the main picture on this blog.
The American Flag: Growing up, we had an American flag hanging in the basement/garage. It was a child's American Flag. From my earliest memories, the basement/garage was a strange and yet, almost magical place. The garage door opened, but we had no car, and the long driveway leading up to the street, was like some type of pre-verbal esplanade in my mind. Not knowing what a car was, or what the driveway was, or why the door that opened was so large and wide and made so much noise when it opened, i just accepted it. But it remained a powerful image/sound/experience in my mind. It took on special significance.

The fact that the Flag was there, seemed to make sense. i guess...

Something drug experience researchers and psychologist understand, is that the human mind, will make associations between objects it finds together. This fact has resulted in humans being able to figure out basic facts about causalities and effects, and also to manipulate this tendency, to associate objects and things that are not usually found together. perhaps, "technology" is merely this fulfillment of promise of man to manipulate his environment through purposed association. In any event, the American flag in my basement, was a part of this set up mentioned above. Also, my brother used to give a few puppet shows in the basement, and he would set up his puppet show right underneath the American flag. I think on purpose. And so, Carnivals, entertainment and even circuses became associated in my mind with the American flag before I knew what it was. Once I found out what it was and what it stood for, It was impossible for me to break this initial association with the flag. And as I came to know other countries flag's, the American flag, always was the flag that didn't belong.

The long, thick red and white stripes, looked to me like clown pants. The stars, were just stars, but there were so many. No other flag has the elements of the American flag. And so, I have usually kept an American flag in my home. It's not about being patriotic. It's about being an American. It's about associating all of these images and understandings. To me the flag means, novelty, life, history, accomplishment, reverence, silliness... and... I don't know... that's part of the reason I like it so. It still does not have a real, solid meaning. It is a collage in my mind.

The Moon: The moon to me, is something that when I look at the heavens, it reminds me, and reassures me, that I am on Earth, and on the same earth, that I have been on since my earliest memory. Somewhere deep inside, I feel that even if I were dead, and lived a million lives, all distinct and separate from one another, if i were to look upon the moon, I would feel, the faint trace of all of the other lives I had lived.... in fact, that's how I feel now. No memory of those lives, just the feeling, that they have been lived and the moon was an accompaniment to them all.

Earth: Our home planet. Abstract, strange, inexplicable, harsh, loving, benign, plentiful, strange... just... everything.

Technology: the image of the man in a space suit, is really, one of the best ways in which to demonstrate this idea, and all it means.

Putting them all together: I'm not sure, but they are all powerful images, and under this one image, everything that could possibly be said on this blog, is overshadowed, and pulled into a coherent collective, under this image. it's a good representation for everything i could possibly say as a human, on Earth.

No comments: