Monday, May 19, 2008

Lady Cab Driver: Prince's Ode To God & Mary

Great Artistic expression should be capable of being interpreted in multiple ways, and be translatable to different contexts.
Themes, although intending to be specific, should also be metaphorical. Drama, as life, contains elements of birth, death,renewal, temptation, wrath and salvation. The final few essential elements that constitute great art are the medium, the environment and a implicit or implied pedagogy and dialectic.

Prince's "Lady Cab Driver" contains all of the necessary components for great art. It is specific, yet metaphorically thematic enough to be interpreted on a multiple levels.

The "Lady" of Lady Cab Driver is clearly a muse and higher power. A facilitator, a confessor, a protector, a temptress, even Mephistopheles, but mostly a higher power, and as a woman, a mother (The Virgin Mary) and courtesan, that serves as a facilitator of sexual pleasure. As the song wends it's way through the young man's journey, Prince calls for help, confesses his sins, his fears, his temptations, and ultimately finds euphoric fulfillment and salvation.

First, from the din of pandemonium, in the midst of urban confusion and temptation, the unsaved soul calls to God, and beseeches for salvation and the interdiction of a higher power.

Taxi! Taxi!

The Vehicle of life, The Taxi, arrives, with a Lady Cab Driver as God's Angel, The Savior, The Virgin Mary and also the Seductress, Mary Magdelene to take Prince on his journey of Salvation.

Lady cab driver -- Can U take me 4 a ride?
Don't know where I'm goin' 'cuz I don't know where I've been
So just put your foot on the gas -- let's drive


Prince, lost in confusion, sexual, personal, in his direction
places his life in the hands of God and begins to confess his sins within the safe space afforded by The Cab.

Lady -- don't ask questions
Promise I'll tell U no lies
Trouble winds r blowin', I'm growin' cold
Get me outta here -- I feel I'm gonna die


Prince asks for forgiveness and protection.
He will confess, but he does not wish to lie.
He only asks for Her to listen
It is not important what he has done up until entering The Cab
for he is now in God's grace, all has been forgiven due to Prince's recognition that he must change.
The same happened to Gautama Buddha who was also a Prince.

Lady cab driver, roll up your window fast
Lately trouble winds r blowin' hard, and I don't know if I can last


Without the Lord and Shepard,
and God's protection, there can be no "safety" from life
or from sin, or from eternal damnation

Lady -- I'm so lonely
I know that's not the way 2 be
Don't want isolation, but the air it makes me cold
Drive it, baby, drive it, drive this demon out of me


Prince, having tried to satisfy himself through the chasing of desire
has only resulted in loneliness and impermanence
Prince wishes to purge himself of this directionless chasing of desire
In effect, he wants the "demon" to be cast from him so that he may follow "the way"

Take me 2 your mansion
Honey, let's go everywhere
Help me girl I'm drownin', mass confusion in my head
Will U accept my tears 2 pay the fare?


He asks to be taken to the house of the Lord
He asks for entry to Heaven
He understands that his soul is imperiled

Lady cab driver, roll up your window fast,
Lately trouble winds r blowin' hard, and I don't know if I can last
Lady cab driver-- can you take me for a ride?


He asks the Lord to join with him, protect him, guide him and be with him "everywhere"
His bitter tears serve as his payment of penance and confession.

This is 4 the cab U have 2 drive 4 no money at all
Penance, Poverty
This is 4 why I wasn't born like my brother, handsome and tall
Envy
This is 4 politicians who r bored and believe in war
Anger, Wrath
This -- Yeah, that's 4 me, that's who that 1's 4
Selfishness
This is 4 discrimination and egotists who think supreme
Pride
And this is 4 whoever taught U how 2 kiss in designer jeans
Lust
That 1's 4-- That 1's 4-- where U have 2 live
Poverty, inequity, destitution
This 1's 4 the rich, not all of 'em, just the greedy
Greed
The ones that don't know how 2 give
Gluttony
This 1's 4 Yosemite Sam and the tourists at Disneyland
Sloth

Through the spiritual union of man and woman, what was passion, turns to a religious experience, and once again, Prince is brought to God where he finds thanks for all aspects of creation and life.

And this 1-- ooh! Yeah -- That's the 1.
That's 4-- that's 4 the-- the creator of man

To God and subsuming oneself to his will.
This is 4 the sun, the moon, the stars, the tourists at Disneyland
Creation, in all it's aspects
This is 4 the ocean, the sea, the shore
The Earth
This is 4-- and that's 4 U, and that's who that 1's 4
Charity, Fidelity, Family, Love
This is 4 the women, so beautifully complex
Marriage, Mother, the Earthly Creator and the power to create life.
This 1's 4 love without sex
Spiritual love, Fraternity, Brotherhood.
This is 4 the wind that blows no matter how fast or slow
Not knowing where I'm going

Fate, Possibility, the Unknown, and Un-promised.
This galaxy's better than not having a place 2 go
And now I know (I know)

Acceptance, Longing, Wisdom & Salvation...
Then, the dynamic play of life continues, with spiritual experience, the holy ghost and the heavenly muse.

Lady cab driver
Lady cab driver
Lady cab driver
Lady cab driver
Lady cab driver
Lady cab driver

No comments: